Don’t forget that the human race lived for many, many years without air conditioning. Within the limits of your particular health situation, your body can acclimate to the summer increase in temperature. Just become accustomed to the fact that you may have to alter your activities and schedule to “beat the heat.”
- Put a small pillow in the freezer an hour or two before you go to bed. Put a few plastic shopping bags over it to keep ice from forming on the fabric.
- Use silk or satin pillowcases, and sateen sheets. These fabrics will feel smoother and cooler as you sleep.
- Drink water frequently. Your body will feel cooler if you are hydrated.
Try drinking eight ounces of water at least every hour. Adding mint
leaves, or orange, lemon or cucumber slices to your water makes it more
- Stock your freezer with flavored ice treats. Freeze a bag of chopped fruit such as watermelon, pineapple or lemons. Cooling down can be a tasty experience too!
- Eat spicy food- It’s not a coincidence that many people in hotter regions of the world eat spicy food. Spicy (hot to the taste) food increases perspiration which cools the body as it evaporates. It also can cause an endorphin rush that is quite pleasant and might make you forget about the heat.
- Try a heat snorkeling system. Take a glass and fill it almost to the brim with ice cubes. Hold it up to your mouth and blow gently into the cup. The ice causes the air you are blowing into the cup to cool down drastically, and since the air only has one way out of the cup (the hole which should now be aiming right at your face) the cold air is forced out over your skin.
- To put the “snorkeling system” to more efficient use, point a fan into a square of four cups filled with ice water and ice cubes. The cooler air in the cups have no where to go but out. Each night, refreeze the cubes and open the windows instead.
- During the day, don’t take a hot shower, wash dishes and clothes or cook until after dark. Make sure your pot lids are tight-fitting. Make sure the door gasket seals on your oven, washer and dishwasher are in good shape and have no breaks or rips.
Feel good that you are actually helping the environment by not running an energy-draining air conditioner!