- 500g potatoes , unpeeled and halved
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 fresh red or green chilli , deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 pointed (sweetheart) cabbage , finely shredded
- juice ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp desiccated or shaved fresh coconut , toasted
- bunch of coriander , roughly chopped
Vegetarian, Super healthy
- Cook potatoes in a pan of salted boiling water for 10 mins until tender. Drain well and return to pan. Lightly crush with the back of a fork, just to break, not to mash.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and then add the asafoetida, spices and dried chillies. Cook for a few mins until the spices pop and the chillies darken.
- Add the fresh chilli, cabbage and some salt and stir-fry for 3-4 mins. Add the warm potatoes to the pan and cook for 2-3 mins more until the cabbage is tender, but still has some bite. Stir in the lemon juice, coconut and coriander, and serve.
Asafoetida has a powerful fried-onion flavour so is always used sparingly. It’s said to aid digestion, making it a natural partner to cabbage.
199 kcalories, protein 4g, carbohydrate 25g, fat 10 g, saturated fat 3g, fibre 4g, sugar 5g, salt 0.06 g