Scientific research on coconut oil has revealed health benefits that affect your entire body, inside and out. You’ve heard good things about it and now you have a tub of it sitting in your pantry. So how do you use coconut oil?
Here are some of the numerous ways coconut oil is used.
This post lists 50 different ways to use coconut oil
Cooking and Eating
1) Cooking at High Heat – Some oils are unsafe to cook with at high temperatures, coconut oil is a great alternative.
2) On Toast Instead of Butter – Simply use coconut oil instead of butter on your toast.
3) Eat it by the Spoonful – Coconut oil is that delicious and healthful. Enjoy one spoonful each morning.
4) Smoothies – Add one tablespoon of coconut oil into your favorite smoothie recipe and increase your energy with the oil’s MCTs.
5) Fry Eggs – Lightly coat the bottom of your skillet with coconut oil to create a non-stick surface and delicious eggs.
6) Popping Popcorn – A sweet twist on a classic snack! To make stovetop popcorn, you need a heavy-bottomed pan. First, add the coconut oil and popcorn to the pot. Coat the area of the pot with the oil, and use just enough popcorn to make a single layer over the bottom of the pot. Give the pot a little shake to make sure all of the kernels are coated with oil. Next, place the pot over medium heat. Put the lid on the pot, leaving it slightly open so that steam can escape. It should take about five minutes for the popcorn to pop completely.
7) Popcorn Topping – Instead of butter, melt a little coconut oil and pour it over your popped popcorn. Then sprinkle lightly with Himalayan crystal salt.
8) Oven Baked Sweet Potato Chips – Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Thinly slice sweet potatoes to about 1/8” thick. Place slices on a baking sheet and brush lightly with coconut oil. Bake for about 15 minutes or until chips are lightly brown. Add salt to taste, and serve with salsa or dip. (Or just eat them plain – either way they’re delicious!)
9) Replace Vegetable Oil for Baking – Next time you make your favorite brownie recipe, replace the vegetable oil with coconut oil. Your friends will be begging you for the recipe.
10) Pan Frying – Next time you fry up a batch of sweet potato fries or a piece of chicken, use coconut oil.
11) Grilled Cheese with Coconut Oil – No need for butter the next time you are making a grilled cheese sandwich.
12) Coconut Oil Coffee – Adding a spoonful to your coffee is a delicious way to start your day with a huge energy boost!
13) Homemade Granola – Check out this delicious recipe for coconut granola.
14) A Spoonful in Tea – Allow some coconut oil to melt and mildly flavor your next cup of tea.
15) Salad Dressings – Used for Dressing Salads.
16) Cheekbone Highlighter – Apply a small amount on cheekbones over makeup.
17) Shaving Lotion – Close shave and a moisturizer at the same time.
18) Facial Scrub – Combine coconut oil with Himalayan crystal salt and apply to face each night. Washing it off is optional.
19) Body Scrub – Combine coconut oil and sugar.
20) Makeup Remover – Healthier, stronger and longer eye lashes are just a bonus!
21) Homemade Deodorant – You only need a few ingredients in addition to coconut oil to make this simple deodorant recipe.
22) Homemade Lip Balm or Lip Gloss – Apply directly or create a flavored version with this simple lip balm recipe.
23) Diaper Rash Cream – Apply regularly to the baby’s bottom to improve skin health.
24) Lubricant –
25) Stretch Mark Preventer During Pregnancy – This safe, healthy oil can be applied multiple times each day to help moisturize your stretching skin.
26) Nipple Cream During Breastfeeding – Coconut oil is a popular choice for nursing mothers because it is a natural safe product.
27) Massage Oil – Coconut oil is the perfect choice for a massage oil. Not too greasy and with a relaxing scent.
28) Body Moisturizer – Apply directly after showering.
29) Fade Age Spots – Rub on hands or other areas daily.
30) Sunburn Care – A great moisturizer to use after you’ve gotten a bit too much sun.
31) Facial Moisturizer – After you wash your face, massage a light layer on your skin.
32) Mix in Bath Water – Melt about 1/4 cup in the microwave and add it to your bath water and soak.
33) Tanning Oil – Put in a spray bottle and bring to beach. Spray on to keep skin moisturized.
34) Dry Feet Treatment – Mix with salt to form a foot scrub.
35) Elbow Rub – Helps manage the dry skin on your elbows.
36) Leave-in Overnight Conditioner – Looking for a deep conditioning hair treatment? Rub a small amount of oil into hair (mostly at ends), comb through and put hair in a loose bun before bed, and wash out in the morning.
37) Hair Flyaway Tamer – Use very sparingly on ends or areas with flyaways.
38) Defrizzer of Split Ends – Just put a tiny amount on your hands and run them through the frizzy areas.
39) Static Reducer – Rub your hands together with a little bit of coconut oil on them and run them through your static-y hair.
Other Healthy Uses for Coconut Oil
40) Homemade Toothpaste – Combine equal parts coconut oil and baking soda. Sweeten with stevia and flavor with your favorite essential oil.
41) Aromatherapy – Whether you like coconut or not, the soothing aroma of coconut oil is pleasing to us all and can help us wind down after a long, stressful day. Read The Beginner’s Guide to Aromatherapy.
42) Wound Care – Although you may not be ready to give up your Neosporin, coconut oil can even be used as a topical protector for wounds, shielding them with a thin chemical layer from outside contaminants. You can apply a small amount of coconut oil to small scrapes and cuts.
43) Metabolism Booster – 2 tablespoons per day are proven to rev up your metabolism.
44) Thyroid Supporter – Regular coconut oil consumption has been shown to support healthy thyroid function.
45) Energizer – 1 teaspoon can give you a burst of energy instead of turning towards a caffeinated energy drink.
46) Oil Pulling – Swish coconut oil around in your mouth for 10 minutes before brushing.
Using Coconut Oil Around The House
47) Season a Cast Iron Pan – season a cast iron pan with coconut oil.
48) Use it as a lubricant on small motors/electronics
Coconut Oil for Animals
49) Feed it to your Dog or Cat -Applying Oil Will make Makes coats become sleek and glossy, and deodorizes doggy odor
50) Put It On Your Cat’s Paw – Put half a teaspoon on your kitty’s paw to keep a shiny coat and cut down on hairballs.